I recently discovered that my man friend really likes Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Like to the point where if its on the menu anywhere, he’s going to order it. No questions asked. Don’t know why it took me so long to this find out, but better late than never! That being said, I scoured the internet for recipes and was a little put off by so many of them. So many call for full-fat cream, loads of butter and even more shredded cheese! All that equals = not a happy/healthy waistline! So, I took a few recipes and honed them down to better ingredients, lower calorie and fat content, upping the serving of veggies while still tasting FANTASTIC! How you say? Well, you’re in luck, cause I’m willing to share!
- 1/4 c. plus 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 cups skim or 1% milk
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth (I buy Campbell’s)
- 4 fresh broccoli crowns (washed and chopped into bit sized pieces, stems included)
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I usually buy the “less fat” cheese, and found it tastes exactly the same!)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
Step-by-Step (ooh-baby…yes I’m channeling NKOTB)
- In a small frying pan, melt 1 tbsp butter and saute chopped onion until onion pieces are clear. Set aside.
- In a medium/large pot melt 1/4 c. butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir well. It’ll get clumpy, but it’ll all work out! Maybe 3-5 minutes here.
- With a whisk add the milk and broth to the pot and let it simmer for maybe 15-20 minutes. Stirring quite a bit at the beginning to get the clumps of butter-flour mixed in well. This step is quite like making a white sauce.
- Add in the already sauteed onion and all of the fresh broccoli and stir into the milk-broth until well covered.
- Continue to simmer and occasionally stir for another 25 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Take off the heat, and take an immersion blender to the soup and puree a bit. I like to leave a few chunks, but this makes for a smoother soup.
- Add the nutmeg and shredded cheese. Stir and let the cheese melt. Serve and enjoy!