Craving meatballs, but don’t want to added fat and empty calories of pasta, sauce AND the often time greasy meatballs, plus oodles of Parmesan cheese?? Well, I have an easy solution that uses lean ground turkey for a healthy option for this classic weekday supper. Its easy and fast enough to pull together and get on the table before the “hangry” side of myself comes out.
So hold on for the ride, and learn to make this easy healthy nutritious turkey meatball!
- 1 pkg lean ground turkey
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 2-3 carrots (peeled and shredded)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. quick oats
- 1/2 c. parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning/basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Quickly grease a baking sheet (I spray with a cooking spray cause its easy, and I like easy).
- Combine ALL the ingredients in a glass bowl and smash together with your clean hands. Really get in there and mash up all the stuff, making sure to mix thoroughly.
- Form 24 equal sized balls and place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- Place water on to boil for pasta (I prefer to use rice pasta or other gluten-free pastas). Cook pasta as you normally would. 🙂
- Place tomato sauce in a mid-sized pot and place on low heat.
- Place cooked meatballs in the tomato sauce, stir gently to cover and let simmer on low/medium heat with the lid on. Stirring every couple of minutes just to keep everything moving.
- When your pasta is done, and your meatballs have been in the warm sauce for at least 20 minutes, drain the pasta and serve! Garnish with more parmesan or fresh basil.